- Trials of Teaching Art
- Since becoming a part-time art teacher at a rec center, I've learned a number of interesting things.
1) Younger artists are more likely to whine when something is hard
2) They may come for the drawing, but they stay for the friendships they make
3) Some kids are hopelessly obnoxious and guess what, rec center teachers don't have to deal with that!
4) Older students often pay their own way via part-time jobs, and most have better things to spend their cash on than drawing lessons
5) I wish I could teach adults
6) Kids these days have so much homework and don't get enough sleep, and the standardized tests they take just mean less time for learning interesting things. Even 12 year olds know how useless standardized tests are!
It's usually better to teach to the child's interests and sneak in 'real' stuff every now and then. Most of the younger ones don't understand the connection between realism and the cartoons they love just yet, but one day they will.
- 3:52pm MST (America/Denver)
- February Flowers
- I just uploaded a bunch of orchid photos to the photography section. These are from the Denver Botanic Gardens orchid showcase, which is basically a showcase of tropical plants in the middle of winter in Denver. The botanists are miracle workers!
They have an instagram photo contest going on as well. Winner gets an orchid. I've submitted a few photos. We'll see what happens!
- 4:36pm MST (America/Denver)
- What could I do
- She wept, not out of sadness or fear, but out of self-recrimination, for she thought feeling fear at all meant she was a coward. This could not be further from the truth.
- 3:51pm MST (America/Denver)
- An Unexpected Good-bye
- One of my aunts died very suddenly yesterday.
- 9:14am MDT (America/Denver)
- In other news...
- For some reason there\'s an extra slash by my apostrophes here. I\'m not entirely sure why that\'s happening. Most likely it\'s an issue with my host\'s latest MySQL update.
- 2:04pm MDT (America/Denver)
- Not another site design!
- Hey, it's a hobby.
I chose to keep this one simple and did a bit of streamlining. This blog is no longer on the front page - instead, it's in the extras section, because I'm fairly sure the images are the most important thing here.
- 1:58pm MDT (America/Denver)
- Still drawing along
- As with many past Olympics, I'm sighing over the gendered sports. The male gymnasts never have to dance or have music. That's so boring! Make them dance on their floor routines. Rate them on artistry. Have a male rhythmic gymnastics category. If you refuse to do that, let the women do strength exercises instead of pirouettes.
I'm personally voting for male artistry, though. We've already got weight-lifting so there's no need for strength demos in gymnastics.
- 11:06am MDT (America/Denver)
- Check out the Extras section to see my Pokemon Go stat card generator!
- 2:31pm MDT (America/Denver)
- The struggle
- Pokemon Go or drawing?
- 11:50am MDT (America/Denver)
- Shark Week
- This year, shows feature sharks being eaten or murdered by orcas.
Next year: Shark Week changed to Orca Week.
- 12:34pm MDT (America/Denver)