- 4.2 oz (1/2c) Porridge (chopped rolled) oats
4.2 oz (1/2c) Rolled oats
2 1/2T Golden Syrup
(1 1/4T light corn syrup; 1 1/4T honey)
2 1/2T sugar
|1. Put the margarine, sugar & golden syrup in saucepan (or microwaveable bowl if using a microwave oven) and heat until it is all liquid.|
2. Meanwhile line the baking tin with greaseproof paper.
3. Mix all the oats into the liquid.
4. Put the mixture into the baking tin & press flat.
5. Bake at 175 deg C (Gas Mark 4) (345 deg F) for 25 to 30 minutes. Warning: the timing is tolerant but accuracy in temperature is critical.
6. Slice into 8 fingers (by cutting into half along the perpendicular bisector of two sides and into quarters perpendicular to the first cut) before it sets but leave in place in tin.
7. Leave to cool and set.
The recipe is identical to chewy version but cook at 15 deg (one Gas Mark) hotter.
Added almost half a cup more of rolled oats
Placed flapjacks in the pan in about a 5''x5'' square, about 3/4 in thick. 345 for 23 minutes.
Result: Still beige, chewy, still delicious. Sticks together better. Spread out in the pan and turned brown around the edges.
Need greased paper to put it down on.