- Egg drop soup in 15 minutes
- For my grandfather in hospice
4 cups good-quality chicken or vegetable stock* Whisk together stock (chilled or room-temperature), cornstarch, ginger and garlic powder in a medium sauce pan until smooth. Heat over high heat until the stock comes to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
3 green onions, thinly sliced, plus extra for garnish
(optional) 1/4 cup whole-kernel corn or creamed corn
fine sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper, to taste
* Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and egg whites in a small measuring cup or bowl. (I find the measuring cup easier for pouring.)
* Once the broth reaches a simmer, use a fork or a whisk to stir the broth in a circular motion, creating a “whirlpool.” Then slowly pour the whisked eggs into the soup as you continue stirring, in order to create long egg ribbons.
* Remove pan from heat. Stir in the sesame oil, green onions and corn (optional) until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste, also adding a dash or two of more sesame oil if needed.
* Serve immediately, sprinkled with additional green onions.