- More Pandemic Life
- Rules were changed at the rec center so we all have to wear masks 100% of the time, which is safer honestly.
I added a new project that I have filled with the utter nonsense I've been dumping on the FFXIV community for the past 2 years, so if you play FFXIV and love silly comics, go check it out under Projects! I've also updated the gallery with various pieces I've done.
Most of it is fan art. I'll be honest, I've been having trouble with original stuff since my dog Terra drowned. But regardless of the subject matter, I've been practicing various skills and feel I've improved in a myriad ways! Story-telling, for example. Sequential narratives are no joke.
I've drawn more than what I've added as of this blog but I may make a new project to add those to instead, since they're proper comics.
- 09/20/2020 @ 11:50am MDT (America/Denver)
- Pandemic Life in July
- Well, I got to teach class this month. Rec center put in some rules, like: must wear mask while moving around the building, but you can take it off once you're in place. After three weeks, Gov. Polis enacted a statewide mask mandate, so that changed to wearing the mask at all times indoors.
I got my own stuff printed on some polyester masks (https://society6.com/surrosgallery/masks). I gotta say, as someone with asthma, the masks are pretty hard to wear when talking to class. Polyester isn't as breathable as cotton, but to be honest my real issue is when I breathe in, the cloth presses against my face and my lizard brain always has that second of panic: "Oh no I'm being SMOTHERED!" I have to pause and be patient and get enough air to keep talking.
Might try Redbubble masks later. They're cheaper and apparently a bit shoddy but they might be a bit less efficient at filtering.
My feelings about this...I'd say this wasn't enacted soon enough. People waited til we got actual studies being done...I think it's the BLM protests that really helped. Protestors mostly used masks and COVID19 rates did not increase. It's only in areas where people did not wear masks indoors, believing masks to be an infringement upon their freedom due to rampant partisanship driving a wedge deeper between Americans, that it's been increasing. Republican govs overwhelmingly late on every precaution, not taking care of their citizens. The unclear leadership from the white house has failed us.
I may or may not survive this pandemic. I'd like to. I wanna go to FFXIV Fanfest...
- 07/23/2020 @ 12:36pm MDT (America/Denver)
- Covid-19 report 2
- It seems like no matter where you turn, there are people discussing the impact and ramifications of covid-19. I'm privy to info from relatives who work in healthcare insurance so I know there's some serious chaos happening behind the scenes. Despite everything my dad used to say (trotting out all the lines from Fox News, no less), the white house and parts of the government have been so thoroughly gutted that the federal response is utterly crippled, and we are all paying the price. The K*ch brothers, who've been driving things to this point with their greed, are really not helping either. I wonder where the disconnect is that people were unable to understand the nature of this preening fool we elected...
In any case, my friend who lives in Long Island reports a dire situation, with local supermarkets being shut down because workers are coming down with it and refrigerated trucks parked outside of hospitals to hold the bodies. It seems to me the main factors that will destroy us are:
1) people who refuse to stay home, either through a misplaced sense of invincibility or pure rebellion against 'them libruls', give them a Darwin award and hope they all die out
2) densely packed urban areas
3) lack of competence in the federal government which has so far failed to provide proper leadership to help those lower on the ladder
4) the general lack of good health and nutrition due to corporations treating consumers like bags of money and taking advantage of human psychology to trick and exploit everyone. This one's a bit of a stretch I suppose, but that's my view. The US has a lot of overweight people and that seems to heavily contribute to how bad a case you're going to be, along with age (?) and underlying respiratory conditions.
There really needs to be a better emphasis on competence when appointing people...any boss with that high of a turnover rate among employees would be up for removal, especially if it culminates in this. Shame on our senate and republicans.
- 04/02/2020 @ 5:44pm MDT (America/Denver)
This site is a personal art site and therefore does not necessarily present itself as a polished portfolio full of eulogies to my professional accomplishments. It has been around since 2003, which makes it pretty old now that I think about it. The name means dragon-dragon in Japanese, because I love dragons and I wasn't too great at names back then (case in point: my leopard gecko was named Gecko). I've taken to using the name Surros Gallery since it's much easier to remember, but this URL continues to be my home on the internet. It still functions as a repository for many of my creative ventures, from art to photography to silly site pages, so take a look around and enjoy!
Things about me that don't involve dragons: I enjoy writing, video games, and creating things in general.
Copyright 2003-2019 Surros Gallery